Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What is Asian

These articles were interesting in the fact that they talked about Asian discrimination and its role in society even today. I was a little shocked that in The Model Minority Image the Asian American’s are still far behind the Caucasian in single person wages. Honestly, I never really had a schema that Asian individuals in American were poor. I think the second article Work, Immigration, Gender: Asian ‘American’ Women was a little exaggerated, in today’s context, because Asian women seem to now be stereotype doctors, and such. Both the valedictorian and salutatorian of my high school were Asian women, which is weird in the context of these arguments. Especially, since being Asian is synonymous with being smart in our culture. However, that may mean there is a diverse split in the Asian American people, those who make money and those who do not. In that way, I could appreciate these articles. Looking back at The Model Minority Image it is interesting that Caucasians can make so much more money with more degrees than other races, as Max referenced. Comparing this with Work, Immigration, Gender: Asian ‘American’ Women and the Asian women being in harsh factory setting up until even 1996, one can realize we are still kind of far from social equality. I remember in AP World History and U.S. History that we went over the Asian and Hispanic labor of the twentieth century, but I was never told that it has happened in such resent history. These articles were pretty insightful, however, with the rise of Asian women in the near future they may not be that helpful in the long run. Trust me one the rise of the Asian women part, my dad said it was true and he knows (almost all the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.