Thursday, October 13, 2011

The New Face of the Silicon Age Reading

The article "The New Face of the Silicon Age" was very interesting. For me, it leaves move questions than answers. I am divided between supporting capitalism, globalization, and people around the world and supporting my neighbors. I know that one day I might lose my job to India or China. Even though it is hard, I believe that America must accept globalization.

I think that outsourcing has taken American jobs. But computers took telephone switchboard operator's jobs. Automated factories took factory worker's jobs. Even though new technology took American jobs, we use computers and robots. Our economy and culture has advanced and it would be suicidal to try to revert to old ways. We could replace all computers with humans. America could also revert back to an agrarian society. We would probably decrease the unemployment rate is we did this, but America would also fall behind in every other way. If we close the door to change, change will go knocking on the next door.

History has taught us how dangerous it is to close one's back on change. Japan tried to close its borders until an American fleet forced Japan to enter the world stage in 1854. If we close our borders and don't allow jobs to be transfered overseas today, we could face an Indian fleet in New York Harbor demanding jobs tomorrow. It may seem easy and correct to simply stop outsourcing, but we will regret it. If America hopes to retain its world standing, we must bite the bullet and accept change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.