1) Benjamin Franklin’s autobiography remains a significant piece of literature in the U.S. not only because of the fascinating stories he tells, but also because of the way in which he recounts them. Franklin establishes a relaxed, casual tone; however, despite this familiarity, Franklin still maintains his well-established diction and maintains a formal writing style. The long, well-written sentences make his life seem like a fantastic tale. One amusing and somewhat ironic account was when Franklin was on a boat during a time when was vegetarian and realized that his logic for being vegetarian went against nature as he said, “I balanc'd some time between principle and inclination, till I recollected that, when the fish were opened, I saw smaller fish taken out of their stomachs; then thought I, ‘If you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you’” (Franklin 36). His transitions between anecdotes and insight make his autobiography resemble a novel. Franklin’s tone and writing style in this well balanced mix of personal stories, life lessons, and family history makes his autobiography an American legend.
2) a. If you agree with a classmate's statement or idea, piggy-back on it to expand the discussion before a new opinion is brought up or before another question is asked.
b. If a statement is made in a discussion that you disagree with, before offering your opinion, try to view the issue through the other person's perspective. It is sometimes difficult to do this, so maybe ask the other person to elaborate in order to help you fully understand their stance.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.